Matrix staff have extensive experience in the field of corrections and criminal justice, having conducted numerous studies for agencies across the country. Our expertise covers a wide range of areas, including detention system planing, needs assessments, analysis of alternatives to incarceration, and staffing studies.
Click on a subject area below to learn more about the services we provide and view samples of our work:
Achieve operational efficiency and effectiveness by delivering progressive detention services
Detention services are evolving, with a variety of alternatives to incarceration becoming the new standard. Enhance corrections-based operations through a comprehensive study of:
- • Operational protocols to ensure the safety of staff and inmate residents
- • Reviewing contracted and in-house labor services, as well as sworn and civilian staffing models
- • The effectiveness and diversity of programs offered to detainees
- • Risks linked to the shortcomings of existing facilities, and their impact on operations
- • The ability of shift schedules and deployment strategies to best meet operational needs
Opportunities are consistently identified to accomplish detention services better, more efficiently, and more cost effectively.
Case Study: Hennepin County, MN
Devise the best staffing plan that is consistent with the needs of your offender population and facility infrastructure
Corrections staffing needs are based on a number of factors that influence the number and type of personnel required. Our assistance will provide valuable insights related to:
- • The number of fixed-post positions required, based on facility needs and other variables
- • Impact of state and federal regulations and guidelines (e.g., PREA) on staffing needs
- • Development of the right job classifications, based on needs and risks involved in the work
- • Determining appropriate relief factors and staffing levels based on employee net availability
- • Achieving a balance between the need for additional staff versus overtime usage
Each facility has different requirements and operational circumstances. As a result, our approach to staffing analysis is founded on the unique characteristics of our clients.
Case Study: Adams County, CO
Needs assessments and master plans
Future detention facilities need to be planned with all justice system stakeholders involved to strike a balance between incarceration and programming as well as efficient system processing
Thorough examination future detention system needs is not just a facility issue. It is an extensive process involving all justice system agencies and the community to address such issues as:
- • What types of offenders should be incarcerated?
- • What types of offenders should be offered programmatic alternatives?
- • How can efficient pre-sentenced strategies be used to reduce inmate populations?
- • For persons incarcerated what in facility programs should be offered?
- • What are the key law enforcement and justice trends that need to be considered?
- • What kinds of facilities should be built?
For decades, the Matrix Consulting Group has provided analysis and facilitated stakeholder processes to address these questions.
Community corrections and detention system alternatives
Determine which alternatives to incarceration and community corrections programs are most effective and appropriate.
Because all offenders do not need to be incarcerated to protect the community or provide a punishment, alternatives should exist. These include:
- • Pre-trial release
- • Diversion
- • Community service
- • Probation
- • Work release
The Matrix Consulting has decades of experience evaluating the needs of these programs, assisting clients implement them, and evaluating their effectiveness where they already exist.
Case Study: Orange County, FL